Keep your fundraising Legal and Safe

It’s not the most exciting subject, but it’s essential to make sure you and those you are fundraising with are safe and that your fundraising is legal.

Insurance – the legal bit

• Age Exchange can’t accept any responsibility for any loss, damage or injury from your event
• Our insurance doesn’t cover your property or the property of your helpers or guests
• It doesn’t cover personal liability for any injury you suffer or anyone else as a result of taking part in your event

If you are organising an event that involves others then you should consider what kind of insurance is necessary. If you are hiring a venue, insurance is sometimes included but it is important to check. To arrange insurance you should contact an insurance broker who can give you impartial advice about your event.

Risk Assessment – the sensible bit

You should carry out a risk assessment of every activity you choose to do. It doesn’t need to be complicated – the Health and Safety Executive recommend you:

1. Identify the hazards
2. Decide who might be harmed and how
3. Evaluate the risks and decide on precautions/measures to be taken
4. Write down your findings and implement them
5. Review your assessment and update if necessary

Your risk assessment will help you identify areas where you may be subject to an insurance claim.


You can contact your local authority licensing department for advice. You are likely to need a licence for:

• Providing alcohol or entertainment (including recorded music)
• Holding a raffle, lottery or auction
• Doing any sort of collection in a public place, for example on the streets
• Putting up banners or signs in public areas

First Aid

If you are holding a public event you might need to provide first aid. The British Red Cross and St Johns Ambulance can provide advice.


If you are holding a large, public event you should write to the police, fire department and ambulance services and let them know what you’re doing.

Food Law

If you’re serving food, make sure you prepare and serve it in a safe way. The Food Standards Agency has some great advice.
This information is a guide only. If you are in doubt please contact your relevant council or authority or ask us for further support.